paradise

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tibble fork lake



 As soon as I came home from New York the first thing I noticed was the fall colors. I have been dreading fall because it means that summer is over and winter is right around the corner. However as I gazed out the window I remembered how beautiful fall is. So during fall break my sister her kids and my family headed up the canyon for a drive and a picnic to see this beautiful season up close.  The drive was breathtaking even if the kids were shouting in the back of the car.  Ellie opted to stay home and catch some more zzzz's  What is it with growing kids and teenagers sleeping all the time?  Sleep when your dead I say. We stopped at Tibble Fork lake.  This is more of a reservoir than a lake but it is really a nice place to spend an afternoon.  It is very popular with the ATV and motorcycle crowd because they have all these easily accessed trails through out the canyon.  It's also a good place to ride horses.
I was reminiscing with my sister Amy about our horse adventures. She was quite the horseman when she was little, always up for a ride.  Often one of the horses would take off with little Amy still hanging on as it dashed through the mountains behind our house and through out the town.  I remember one time we finally caught her on the horse and she had lost her boots somewhere along the way.  One thing about Amy is that she was tough as nails and could hang on in the scariest of rides.



 We let the boys bring their fishing rods.  I didn't want to worry about hooks and catching actual fish so we just practiced our castings.  As we were unloading the car my dear nephew Landon who has a speech impediment asked where his "pissing rod" was.  I couldn't hold it in I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't get out my smart alec remark.  I told him ,"It should be attached to you buddy."  Sorry Lannie I just couldn't help it. His very patient mother said "Landon it's the F sound remember F, F, Fishing rod."
So we ate our lunch,  practiced our casting catching green gunk and we floated boats down the stream.  The water was really cold. When lunch was all cleaned up we went for a walk around the lake.  As the boys followed close together exploring interesting things like a rock or stick and finding excitement in the simplest things they reminded me of the lost boys in Peter Pan.   One gentleman was fishing in a tube and fighting with a pelican who was trying to snag his catch.  All the boys headed over and called out to him.  He was kind enough to show them his catch and answer any questions they had.  I love the amazement and interest of life in a child's eyes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive