paradise

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

911 Memorial

The new World Trade center building
One thing I really wanted to see in New York was the 911 memorial. Scott and I watched a 3 part series documentary on the original twin towers to the destruction personal stories of those that died, the soon to be museum, and the rebuilding.  It was really very enlightening. (Go ahead call me a geek I'm cool with that) The memorial is free but you have to make a reservation.  Again I was thankful for my smart phone.  We were a little late for our scheduled time but it wasn't a busy day so I wasn't worried.  Because I made the reservations on my phone I had to go to the reservation desk to get the actual tickets.  We arrived at what I thought was the correct desk when the man informs me that I was not and that the kiosk is a block away. I poured on the honey and mentioned that people told me to watch out for rude New Yorker's but I haven't come across any my whole trip including him. Surely he could help me. He said that was because he is from New Jersey.  So I added a little more sugar and he printed the tickets off for me "because I was from Utah".  When I asked "Oh, do you have connections in Utah?"  He answered no.  So with one more dash of sugar I said "well now you do.  Anytime your in Utah we'll hook you up." Then he politely handed me the tickets.  People the Golden Rule ALWAYS applies. According to my nephew Ammon, "if your nice to people, people give you stuff." Wise words Ammon.

 Again airport like security was required but we were used to that now.  One we stepped inside the fence there was a reverent atmosphere surrounding the memorial.  The only real noise was that of the waterfalls.  I made it appoint to walked around each tower base and look at the names.  Part of the reason behind it was to find the names of all the people in my family so I could make it more real to me and to see if I remembered anyone from the documentary.  The other part was my way of paying respects to those souls who are no longer with us. I loved the little American flag patches that people put near the names of their loved ones. Such a sweet touch. I decided I agree with the city's decision to make it a memorial and not just another building with a plaque.  I helps us to more fully remember.  One thing that I thought was very tastefully done was that in all the pictures there was no devastation but more a feeling of hope. There was only one photo of the crash, some were pictures of people covered in ash but without anguish on their faces. This fact alone made the memorial peaceful.
One story I didn't know was about the survivor tree.
This tree was the only surviving thing in the area.  It was down to a stump but it was still alive.  To preserve it they dug it up and replanted it in another location in the city.  Shortly after there was a large windstorm that uprooted the tree and brought it back to the where the Twin towers once stood.  It was if the tree was saying this is my home.
Add caption
The tree is now flourishing in its original home.  It doesn't look any different from the other trees in the area except it is protected by a surrounding rail.




the building behind will be the museum

Korean soldiers paying their respects







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive