paradise

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Colonial Festival July 2015

Summer is a time for festivals and fun events.  This event is called colonial days.  The boys love it because there are guns, cannons and lets face it everything boy.  I am happy that when we take them to these things they seem truly interested to learn.  Hopefully they don't think we just drag them to these places because we have nothing better to do, although sometimes that is the case. I really just want my kids growing up remembering that we did a lot of stuff together as a family.
Scott doesn't remember doing anything with his family growing up and I see how that has been such a disservice to him.  When I talk about all these places I got to go or that my mom took us here or there or taught us this, he has nothing to compare it to. 
They had a battle reenactment at this little event complete with soldiers, generals, guns, and cannons.  The cannon was so loud my ears were ringing for a few minutes afterward.  That and we could feel the shock wave hit us as it went off.  It was pretty cool.

The kids were very interested in how to make paper but mostly interested in how to make bullets.  They asked if we could make our own bullets. I had to disappoint them.  Ellie loved the school until she learned that women only learned to read so that they could read the bible but were not really encouraged to do much more schooling then that.  Its a good thing she was born in this day and age.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive