paradise

Sunday, July 22, 2012

fruit leather



What to do with all my apricots? When I left for Yellowstone they were just about ready, when I returned they were all over the ground.  They sure ripened quickly. I harvested all the rest off the tree and put them in a tote until I could decided what to do with them. I wanted to make this an old fashioned canning frolic but the soft fruit was not going to wait for everyone's schedules so I handled it myself with a little help from Scott (I know I was surprised too.) He just came into the kitchen and started working, what a sweet heart. 
 My family doesn't really care for apricot jam so I thought I would try fruit leather.  It turns out it is very easy to make it just takes forever.  
1. remove the stones2. chop up the fruit.  Mine were so ripe I just pulled them apart in smaller pieces
3. put in a pot with 1 cup of water per 4 cups of fruit and cook it down.  I used medium to high heat
4. stir occasionally and smash with a potato masher.
5. add sugar to taste one tablespoon at a time.  In one pot I had 8 cups of fruit and only added 3 tablespoons of sugar
6. blend in a food processor and then pour in a rimmed cookie sheet lined with microwave safe cling wrap
7. Put in a 140-170 degree oven and wait.
This is the longest step.  I put mine in over night and they still took half the next day before they were done.
Super easy.  My sweet mom called me the next day and told me to check my front porch because the DI fairy brought me something.
She found 2 food dehydrators for $5.  Thanks mom I already used them to dry my dill and I will definitely be using them when I do my grapes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive