paradise

Friday, August 3, 2012

Pioneer pagent

Merrill Osmond has resurrected his Mormon pioneer pageant.  This is something I did every year as a youth.  Its a big production telling the story of the Utah Mormon pioneers.  They asked my dad and brother if they would build part of the set.  They built 2 houses a couple of covered wagons and a barn facade. Some of the  perks of building were that he got free tickets to go see it.  Of course I was in when he asked me if we wanted to go. I admit that the pre-show was a little too long.  They had all these awards and children's choir.  Which wouldn't have been so bad if they had only sung 1 or 2 songs but they sang their whole album and they were not super amazing.   Everyone was getting antsy before the play even started.  Finally they announced the parachutes coming.  This is a tradition for this program that sky divers drop out of the plane and land right in front of the stage.  The last one has an American flag tied to his ankle.  Then the play began.  Talk about blast from the past.  I was instantly transported to younger days as the cast sang and danced all the same songs and choreography.  I was amazed that I remembered all of it and I mean all of it.  Scott said it was like stereo because I was singing all the songs and my sister Stephanie who was sitting behind him was also singing. He was a good sport to sit patiently through it as we wiggled in our chairs partially doing the dances. 
A couple of qualms that I noticed were the mob scene.  It only had 2 horsemen where as our older version had like 10.  Then they left out the barn raising scene.  That was always awesome but I think the majority of the cast was too small to actually raise the barn facade.If I were really picky I didn't care for the strobe lights during the crickets scene.  Other than that I enjoyed it.  probably because it brought me back to younger carefree days.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive