paradise

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

cattle drive

Here in old town Lehi they keep up with tradition.  Being rodeo week they had a cattle drive down main street. It started out with the flag of course.  It was so cute to see William do his first official scout salute at a parade.  I could see that he knew the importance of it.  Too many people don't respect the flag as they should.  After the flag was the local high school marching band.  I love marching bands, I really do.  They feel the air with excitement. Maybe I'm old school but I love the  brass and the drums everything.  This local high school has an exceptional marching band.
Then there were the usual faces.  The grand Marshall, the mayor, the rodeo queens (their chaps were so pretty). After all the fan fare came the cattle.  They had a lot of Texas longhorns and of course cowboys. (there's just something about a cowboy mmmmm)
I'm not sure how well my kids appreciated it but it brought back fun memories for me.
I used to go do roundup with my best friend.  Their family raised cattle and in the spring they would round them up and bring in the calves to brand and neuter them. (Rocky mountain oysters anyone?  they are actually good).  We would also take that time to mend fences and scout the grounds for anything that needed attention.  I remember one time I was helping drive the cattle on a 4 wheeler.  The dog kept pestering this particular bull until he got so fed up he decided to charge the dog who then headed straight for me.  I knew I couldn't let this bull go because then we would have to roundup the herd again. I was a little more than scared as this huge bull comes right at me.  My training kicked in and I spread my arms as wide as they would go as I stood up on the ATV to make myself appear as big as possible.  The trick worked and the bull nearly doubled over himself trying to stop. I stood there heart racing eyes closed tight holding my breath covered in dust.  We looked each other in the eye.  I was frozen in fear until he decided I wasn't worth it and turned around back to the fold.  This round up was nothing like that but it was nice to stir up those fond memories
my cute nephew
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive