paradise

Saturday, December 31, 2011

new project

For Christmas I decided to make another project.  You all know me by know I have to have a project in the works or brewing or else I tend to go stir crazy.
Yesterday was a prime example of this.   I needed to just relax but I was having such a hard time with this basic concept that Scott was getting worried.  If there is something that needs to be done it nags at me, so even though I was really tired from all the parties and festivities I just couldn't relax.  Apparently I had a scowl on my face the whole day because it was so painful for me to just relax and do nothing.  I had so many things I could be doing; take down the Christmas lights, clean the playroom, clean up the backyard, wash the outside of the windows, organize the garage etc.  You get the idea.
Back to the  projects.  I saw something like this at a science center one time and promised myself that if I ever had the space I would put one in my house.  I bought a sheet of galvanized sheet metal 4'x10' and cut it to 4'x8' to fit my wall.  My brother is a welder so he was nice enough to let me borrow his tools. I bought a length of 2" pvc split it then cut it in different lengths.  I then put magnets on the back of the pvc.  This took some trial and error to find the right kind of glue for ceramic and pvc.  The winner was gorilla epoxy.  I bought some ping pong balls and voila a personalized track.  The kids can make the track any way they want and just send the balls down.  I think I am going to have to switch to those nerf-like practice golf balls because the ping pong balls are too light, they often bounce out of the track.
This is something we can all spend hours playing with.  Its also something I can grow.  I thing I am going to add some elbow and 45 degree pieces.  I am also going to frame it out with some casing so it looks nice, but that has to wait until my next paycheck.  Total cost of project $50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive