paradise

Friday, June 28, 2013

summer recitals

I thought summer recitals would be easier than winter ones near Christmas time.  I was seriously mistaken.  Not only do we have to juggle 10 schedules but the kids have summer on the brain and do not want to work on their music.

Our first summer recital was Ellie's violin recital. I have to say she is getting much better.  It helps when she got to pick the song she wanted to do.  She had the idea for this song a while back so she worked with her teacher to learn it.  When the other girls heard it they just had to get in on the action.  She was a little miffed about having to share her favorite song be she got over it and performed wonderfully.







Next came my piano recital.  I had this great idea to do a "Night at the Oscars". I wanted all the kids to do music from their favorite movies.  I let each kid pick what song they wanted to learn.  I didn't realize how much work this was going to be for me.  I had a hard time finding each piece in my students different levels so I ended up writing a lot of the songs.  Luckily I learned that somewhere along the way. If I didn't write them I changed up a piece that was already written to match it to the student.
For the recital I had everyone come dresses for the Red Carpet. I put up a red curtain behind the piano so it looked like it was on a stage then I added the red carpet.  For snacks I made chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting with a chocolate treble clef or music note on top.  I also had rice krispies and popcorn, because movies and popcorn go hand in hand.  My students did wonderful I was so proud.  After all the music was played I had them each come up and receive their awards. They had a great time and so did I.  I love moments like this where you can see all the hard work pay off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive