paradise

Friday, June 28, 2013

Headstone

I am so grateful for the love of my life who is a wonderful father. Even more grateful that he understood that This Father's Day need to be about my dad.  We did celebrate Scott and gave him gifts but my main focus was on my dad who had a job on the other side that he needed to get to. They finally laid his headstone so we traveled up to the cemetery to see it on Father's day.  It was nestled right next to others of his family that have passed before him.  
When we got there we noticed a can of V8 one of my dad's favorite drinks.  I was left by my brother Jeff and his family that came earlier.  My mom and sisters brought flowers and my nephew Shane brought bottle rockets.  So fitting for my dad. It was good to talk to the kids about their grandpa and about heaven.  I think our understanding has helped all of us to get through this a little easier.  I know we all miss him terribly but we will be okay.  There are times when I break down and cry when a simple memory comes to the surface, or when I think of the things that he will miss or just because I miss him.  At times like that I just put myself to work because I know that's what he would want.
Some have asked if I feel angry about his passing, but I can honestly say no.  I feel sad at times but not angry.  I think what has helped me is that I was able to spend so much time with him at the end.  To talk to him, sit with him, snuggle next to him, and serve him, but also I wrote him a letter with all the things I thought he needed to know.  I felt like I left nothing unsaid.  Those things have helped me come to terms with his death.
His headstone turned out very nice and very him.  While it's nice to have a place to visit and acknowledge his life here on earth, I'd like to think his legacy of his wife and children are more acknowledgement of his life.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive