paradise

Friday, June 28, 2013

Father's Day craft

I thought I should add some of the scout stuff I do for other people to get ideas or so I can use them again later.  My calling in my church is Bear leader in the cub scouts.  This could not be a more perfect calling for me.  It's a lot of work but I really enjoy it. I love teaching these kids and joking with them, helping them grow and learning from them.  
I feel a little like these boys need to be able to do real things so I have them do a lot of hands on stuff. I thank my parents for teaching me all this stuff, and more importantly to not be afraid to try new things, even if its work.  When it came time to come up with a Father's day craft I came up with this idea. 
It's a remote caddy.  (They had no idea what it was until I put the picture in.  They just thought it was a box) The only money I spent on this project was the rope $3 and the nails $3.  For 15 boys I thought that was pretty good.  The wood and stain were salvaged from a job site.  So when your looking don't be afraid to get to a site and ask for their garbage.  I have done many a projects like this.  Think of it as upcycling or going green.  If I was smarter I would have had all the sides cut before the scouts got there, but I didn't want to waste if I was only going to have 5 scouts show up. Just my luck all 15 showed up.
Because the boys aren't allowed to use real tools I had them sand, stain, and glue their boxes then I went around and nailed them with my nail gun and drilled the holes for the rope handles.  I think they turned out pretty good considering they were made by 8 and 9 year olds.  They boys had a great time and even more important they learned they CAN do things like this.  It's also cool when they think I am amazing because I am a girl and can use tools the way I do.  (Thanks Dad).
To help the dad's understand what it was for I made up this little poem.
You work hard every day
So I can go and run and play
And so I thought what I could do
To make a less stress day for you
Of all the things that drive you crazy
I know it's when I'm super lazy
And don't put things where they belong
Even when I know its wrong
So when you come home, all tuckered out
And you want to relax upon the couch
I made this box so you can find
That pesky remote that has its own mind
As is wanders form hand to hand 
It needed a final place to stand
Thanks for being such a great dad
Your the best a boy ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive