paradise

Friday, March 23, 2012

new respect for my Dad

I got a new toy that I totally could have used at least 5 times earlier this week and it would have saved me so much time and effort.  Its a scroll saw.  I really don't know why it took me so long to get one when I obviously needed it.
I have been doing some projects with Ellie and I now have a new found respect for my dad.  My dad is a carpenter.  He would take us to work with him when we were very little,  teaching us what the tools were and how to use them.  Not just the screw drivers and the drills but nailers, sanders, bands saws, planers etc.  I never realized how frustrating it is to teach a kid the proper way to use a tool.  First they have to know what all the parts are called then the proper way to use them.  It took me 20 minutes to teach Ellie how to use a drill.  Explain what the different drill bits were called and how to change them out, then how to hold the drill making sure it was going the right direction.  Something I had definitely taken for granted because I have always known thanks to my dad.  My dad the Master Teacher.  Every time we asked my dad for help on something he would begin by giving us the history of whatever it was, then help us with it. For example I once asked him to show me how to change a tire and he proceeded with giving me the history of the jack and all the different types of jacks.  I remember being annoyed at the history lesson and just wanted to change the dang tire, but now I know so much more and believe it or not that knowledge has come in handy more than once.
So with Ellie we continued on to sanders and files which  needed MORE teaching.  I was getting so frustrated it was making these projects take so much longer than needed, but if I didn't teach her now then when? 
My dad always said if its worth doing its worth doing right, he showed us if we prepare and do the proper steps the project comes out so much better.  This requires a lot of patience!!! So thanks dad for teaching me, teaching me how to use tools, how to build stuff, and more importantly patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive