paradise

Monday, October 7, 2013

STOMP

this picture was taken from their website.  No photography allowed at the concert
My goodness I have had a busy week, a very busy week.  On Friday my mom surprised Scott and I with tickets to go see STOMP.  We couldn't believe it.  We were just talking about wanting to go see them.  I've seen their work on TV but its not the same as in person. For those of you who don't know who Stomp is, they are a group that make music out of everything they can find.  Their stage looks like the dump.  Its a good thing!
 We couldn't believe the traffic we came upon trying to get up to Kingsbury Hall but we made it just a little late. I think we only missed their first number.
this picture also take off their website.
Now you must understand Stomp is something that must be seen in person to get the full effect.  What can I say but they were amazing, stupendous, creative, ingenious, funny, loud, musical, talented, masters of sound and Creator's of complicated rhythms.  My ears were buzzing with excitement.   So many things went through my mind as I watched this crew turn noise into music.
My first thought was, "I found the perfect career for Brennen!"  My second thought was, "what would it be like to attend this concert as a blind person."  I know that sounds funny but I would like to think that I would have fun trying to guess what objects they were using to make each sound.  They guys made sound out of everything! and I mean everything including the kitchen sink.
It took me back to my childhood.  Back when I would watch those cartoons with no vocals, just music and you knew exactly what was being "said".  The music did all the speaking.  That is a little how this was.
One number they did reminded me of the musical number in West Side Story.  The one where the Jets and the Sharks are both on stage trying to intimidate one another.  I just loved it.
Did I mention they did tap as well.  You all know how I feel about tap.  I was in heaven.
The first number we saw there was a group of 6 people.  They all had these little boxes about the size of an Altoids tin filled with something the size of mints.  Just by shaking them and tapping on the boxes they made the most incredible music.  I was impressed! They had the comic relief character that they teased and he acted like he didn't quite get it.  Just the right amount of funny without being too cheesy.
 During another number they climbed up and hooked themselves on a rope so they could swing back and forth 20+ feet in the air banging on all the items that were part of the set.  It was cool. This show is also very interactive.  They have the audience clap and stomp trying to get them to duplicate their rhythms.  The crowd did great on the simpler rhythms but as soon as it got a few more beets the dancers just laughed at us.
This show is a must see. IF you like music. I would definitely do this again.  Thanks mom. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive