paradise

Friday, November 9, 2012

Lucky's surprise

This year has been a tender year for my dad so my sister decided to throw a surprise party for his birthday.  I was more than happy to let her take the reins on this one because I was already quite busy.  My assignments were to get the cake,and Oreos, and set up a Lucky "shrine"  I put out the word that I wanted to collect stories of my dad.  He is quite the character and I knew there were so many good stories that I hadn't heard.  I want to have a record of these stories and put them in a book for future posterity so that others may know what an amazing man this guy is.  Sooo my sister Kate insisted I set up a shrine so that other could record their stories to add to the book.  I only got a few written stories but there was an open mic for those that know my dad and boy did I get some stories there.  Thank goodness for smart phones with a recorder in them or I would never have gotten all the juicy details down.  
As I listened to these stories I couldn't help but parallel them to things and people in my life.  I see where I have gotten a lot of my attributes.  I always thought I was a lot like my mom but I learned that there is a lot of my dad in me too. Not to mention the astounding similarities between my dad and my Brennen. Not only do their baby pictures look like the same kid there personalities are equally so.
The party turned out pretty good with pulled pork sandwiches and olive garden salad. Not to mention all of my dad's favorite goodies including Oreo's, popcorn,  BYU brownies, and ice cream. I was impressed with all my aunts and uncles that came long distances to help celebrate this gentle giants birthday. 
My brothers put a killer playlist together of all dad's favorite music.  It was a little much for some but for me it was pure nostalgia. It's always good to get together with family especially mine where I feel like I meet someone new every time.  My dad is Lucky number 13 out of 15 children with no multiple births.  Each of them have large families and I want to say ours is the smallest with 8 kids, so I have over 150 cousins on one side. So yes I often do meet new family at these functions.  I also love to see the regulars at each event and catch up on what's going on in their lives.  2 of my favorites are my Aunt Jeanine and Aunt Joy.  They always know who we are and are interested in what were doing.  Then there is my uncle David.  Those of you that know him. . . enough said.  Those of you that don't, let's just say his nickname is King David, a character that is as colorful as the sunset. Your always in for a treat when he opens his mouth, you never know what he's going to say.



most of my sisters Love these gals

cute cousins Wyatt and TK










No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive