paradise

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pearl Harbor

We picked a perfect day to go to Pearl Harbor. We had to arrive quite early to make sure we got in.  So we arrived as soon as they opened and got our tickets for the Arizona memorial.  We actually did the Missouri first while we waited for our scheduled time at the Arizona.  Walking around the area we opted for the audio tour.  Again we read every plaque and watched every video and looked at all the artifacts and models.  
When we got on the boat to take us to the memorial there was an instant change in mood.  Scott pointed out that within 1 year I have been able to go to 2 of the biggest tragedy's that have happened to our country.  
There is a certain reverence at these sites of hallowed ground.  You can feel the spirit.  The spirit of the tragedy, the spirits of those affected, but I also feel a spirit of peace and rest.  
One thing that I didn't know was that the survivors have been saved a space so that if they chose they can be entombed with their fellow soldiers.  Some have chosen to do so, there is only 1 survivor left and he has yet to decide.
Going to Pearl harbor takes a full day.  We were totally exhausted both physically and probably a little emotionally. After all the stories and all the plaques I think the one that I took home was part of a poem that Eleanor Roosevelt kept in her wallet. It says,  Dear Lord/ Lest I continue/My complacent way/ Help me to remember somehow out there/ A man died for me today. / As long as there be war I then must/ Ask and answer/ Am I worth dying for?




oil still seeping from the Arizona















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive