paradise

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Deseret Industries

One of the great things about moving to Utah is Deseret Industries. Better known as DI.. Moving to this new house there is a lot of furniture I need because we didn't move any living room furniture with us, and this house has 2 living rooms. So, what's a girl on a budget do? .. You guessed it. D.I.

red couch $40/ storage ottoman on wheels $12
 I love D.I. Its like a treasure hunt for me.  Sometimes you go and find nothing, other times you hit the jackpot. Don't forget the wheeling and dealing. Everything is negotiable! There are a few things a novice D.I. shopper needs to know.
1. which D.I. has the best stuff (the one in Sandy is my favorite)
2. If you want to deal you can't be wearing nice clothes. You don't have to look homeless, just don't wear anything nice or fancy
3. The best day to go.  Usually Monday after they have had time to bring out everything from garage sale drop offs. Saturday late afternoon early evening is good too.

couch $20
4. Don't get discouraged if you don't find anything the first day.  You just have to get lucky.
5. Keep an open eye.  Somethings at first site can be quite tacky, but with a little paint or new fabric they can be great. So look at the shapes and sturdiness of the object.  Somethings just need a little glue or screws.
Here are some of the treasures I found there.  Most were in great condition some (the dresser) needed a little paint.  The dresser was a really ugly yellow/gold with brass handles.  I painted it a cute green apple with silver handles. (It goes in Peters room) The Banana chairs I know are ugly but we had some when I was little and we LOVED them!!!  It turns out my kids love them just as much as I did.
I also got all those little things you need with a new house at an amazing deal.
Scott doesn't really care for things bought at thrift stores.(He grew up quite poor and everything he owned was from garage sales or thrift stores.)  He tells me that he would prefer not to know where it came from and then he likes them
So hurray for D.I. this is really going to help my Christmas shopping.

dresser $20/ toy bin $5


banana chairs $2

cute ottoman for Ellies room $12


something fun for Peter $5


1 comment:

  1. Jealous. I love DI. I went to Utah once and came back with a big hiking backpack FULL of church books. I had no idea you could negotiate! CRazy!
    -S

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive