paradise

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference Sunday










I love general conference Sunday. When I was single I would sometimes take a drive up in the mountains with a radio and a notebook and just be inspired.
Since children have come into the picture I find it harder to focus on the messages given by the prophet and our leaders. I've realized it is just part of life but I keep trying to find ways to help them listen, so I can listen.
One thing I did last conference that worked great (it didn't really work this time) was, I put a bowl of pennies by the TV and told them to listen for 2 specific words, like families and the Holy Ghost. Every time they hear one of the words they can go pick a penny. By the end of conference they can exchange the pennies into larger coins and keep them. The trick is to not shout out "I heard. . . " For my kids, competition works a little better. They always want to see who got the most pennies. At least this way I know they are hearing some of the messages.
For our last Sunday session we made these Haunted gingerbread houses. Everyone had a lot of fun and I think it even help us concentrate better than listening alone.
Check out the concentration faces on Scott and Will. hee hee Brennen spent most of his time eating the candy but at least he was quiet. That was HUGE for him.
There were a few talks that I really appreciated one that stands out is the one on Its okay to say no. Tell your kids if you have a bad feeling about something they will understand. And just stand up for what you feel is not in harmony with what you would have in your home. In my case it would be TV shows that aren't very appropriate. I know I will be hated half the time. But I would rather be able to answer to my God than bow down to what's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive