paradise

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Draper Day's parade

William resting until it starts. We got him up too early
We hadn't been to a parade this year and we were feeling like the season was not complete with out going to a parade.  We missed the Sandy City one because of Stadium of Fire. We missed the Lehi ones because it was just so HOT.  My darling hubby just can't handle the heat.  I had to pick my battles, if I wanted him to do and activity later that day I knew I couldn't make him sit in the heat that morning so we didn't.   This brought up the option of going to the Draper days parade.  I grew up in Draper, and all these memories came flooding back as we walked down the familiar street looking for a place to watch the parade.  Good memories.  My dad LOVED the parade.  when we were younger he always encouraged us to participate in it.  I don't think I actually watched the Draper parade until I was 16, I was always in it.  He would make sure to set the trailer up to save our spot and invite all our good friends to come join us.  He loved to yell CANDY, CANDY, CANDY!! while sitting in his signature lawn chair, cheering for some random political person in hopes of getting more candy out of them.  It was always entertaining.  We would be enjoying ourselves so much we never noticed the heat.
Peter staying behind the line
the coolest ambulance I've ever seen
The Parade was good.  A little too long though, we didn't even finish the parade before we had so much candy we started throwing it back as we headed off to our car.  I had a rule that the kids were not allowed to cross the white line.  I have seen many close calls of children running into the street to get candy almost to be run over.  This ruins it for everyone so I figure if I can make sure my kids are staying back at least I'm doing my part in letting the parades keep their candy tradition.  Peter kept true to my rule.  He put his feet right up to the line but never crossed it.  It was actually comical to watch.  He would see candy in the street just out of his reach, try to get it without moving his feet.  It was like someone had glued his shoes to the asphalt.  
a miniature fire truck.  It was so cute
For me to say a parade is a success it must have 3 major things.
 1. a band.  It can be a marching band or bagpipe band preferably both!
my boys loved this Lego float
2. real floats. Not just cars with people in them
3. give aways.  Candy, coupons, T-shirts.  I'll take whatever they've got but please give me something.
This parade was definitely a success.
My vote for the coolest float.  the boat rocked back and forth

The prettiest float


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive