paradise

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Movie themed birthday party

Tis the season of crazy busy.  On top of all the other holidays that come this time of year.  We also have a slew of birthdays and anniversaries to contend with in addition to my turn teaching preschool.  So we start the kick off with Ellie's birthday.  Thankfully Scott was home.  He was a huge help to me in getting everything prepared! This year she went with a movie theme.
This party actually cost less than my usual $50 because it involved more brain thinking than anything else.  I bought a few decorations from the dollar store.  Red and gold crepe paper with matching balloons.
She had all her guests come as a character from one of their favorite movies.  If they didn't come dressed up we provided something for them from our dress up box.  Once everyone arrived I split them into 3 groups to go hunting for characters.  Before had I found all our stuffed animals and toys that came from or matched popular movies that the under 13 would know.  I came up with a clue/riddle for each one so they had to guess what character it was and then there was a riddle to where that character was hiding. For example Pascal from tangled was
    His skin can turn from red to blue. His best friends hair can heal you.
his hiding place clue was to that he could see you from his lookout tower.
Once they found the first character it had a clue taped on it for the next character. The last one told them to come inside and find something round for a special treat. It was a pumpkin with goodies.  While they were searching I got the food ready.  We had everything you could get at a movie theater.  Hot dogs, nachos, candy, soda, and of course popcorn.    I did buy each guest their own popcorn container for .50 cents the dollar store.  They got to decorate them however they wanted.
After food we did movie quotes.  I read off a movie quote they had to raise their hands to answer.  Whom ever got the most quotes won a prize.  They loved this game so much that when I ran out of quotes I had them say their own and let the rest guess.  We had quite of  few rounds of this before we served cake.






The cake was FABULOUS!!! My wonderful sister made her a cake that looked like a big popcorn bucket with popcorn spilling out.  It also had movie tickets made of fondant on it.  It looked amazing!! thanks Steph!!!  After the cake and ice cream we did presents then planned on watching a movie but the girls wanted to play ghost in the graveyard instead.  (One way to have a less stress party is to be flexible.)  I had no problems with it so they played the night away until their parents came to get them. I kept the  popcorn going all through the party.  there was popcorn all over the house by then end of the party but that's easy to vacuum up.  I actually had most of the party cleaned up by the time the last kid left. Everyone had a great time.  So happy 11 Birthday Ellie we  love you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive