paradise

Friday, October 16, 2009

target practice birthday




This was a great party unfortunatly I didn't get pictures because I was too busy running the show. My son wanted to have a target practice birthday. For each of the guests I made a real bow and arrows. They got to keep this as their favor, along with some saftey glasses. I just bought sunglasses at the dollar store. I made the bow with approx. 4ft of PVC pipe I cut a slit on the same side of each end. I got some heavy duty string and knotted one side then put the knotted end through the slit of one end. I taped that with electrical tape so it would stay. I then bent the pvc to resemble a bow then knotted the other end of the string and put it through the other slit and taped it as well. For the had hold on the bow I got some scrap batting and taped all around it so none of it showed. For the arrows I bought some small dowels notched one end and put a pointed rubber eraser on the other and viola. We first had a lesson on safety and proper handling of weapons then we had the kids take turns with assistance shooting. I created a bunch of targets out of old cardboard boxes. We also had a metal shooting target which we used an airsoft gun to shoot at. My husband handled the airsoft gun activity. After a few rounds of bows arrows and guns we had obstical courses where the shooting and targets were involved. Everyone had a great time. No one was hurt or in any danger because we stressed the safety issue every step of the way. These are all very city kids and me growing up with target practice as a past time felt like I could let them see that weapons arent always weapons, they can be a sport. It was surprising to see how well the kids could hit the targets. A girl was the best and got a bullseye a couple of times. the cake was cupcakes frosted like targets with a toothpick arrow in the bullseye. I made the toothpick look like an arrow by cutting electrical tape on the end to look like feathers. I have a lot of fun creating birthday's for my kids. The best part is that I don't ever spend more that $50. How do I do it you ask? You need a little bit of time, some luck at goodwill, and lots of thinking outside the box which I owe all to my mother. She always has a way of turning nothing into something. So whenever you think your kids aren't listening to you, they are. . . but most of all they are watching you. Thanks for all your great creativity Mom. I hope I do you proud in trying to live out your legacy, so when people notice my ideas they say "YOU MUST BE ONE OF LYN'S KIDS".

1 comment:

  1. How fun you have a blog! I love mine because it makes me keep a journal. Cute birthday photos, Brennen photos and campfire photos! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive