paradise

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Last ditch effort for summer fun

William scoping out planets
Peter loved this thing.  we couldn't pull him away
Brennen conjuring up magic
As we were nearing the end of summer I always get that feeling of did we do enough fun stuff?  But on the other end we are all totally worn out and sick of each other, that more together time doesn't seem as fun as it should.  So we tried all these different parks where it was minimal effort on my part but something fun and different for the kids, and most importantly it got them out of the house.  Or maybe its more important that I get out if the house.  I don't know what it is about me, but I feel liked a caged animal if I don't get out of the house every day.   Also when I am home all I see is work and projects that need to be done and lets face it when we are at the end of summer I have no motivation to do them.  You can only clean the house so many times in one day before you go crazy.  My number is 3.  I realize I should just let it be and only clean once but my OCD kicks in and I can't relax.  It slowly eats at my soul and I progressively get grouchy.  Ahh such is life.
Brennen on Mars
Back to summer.
 Scott took us up to the Clark Planetarium for something to do.  This was a last minute idea but one I was up for.  I love going the these kinds of places.  In fact I don't know if we go for the kids or because we love it.  Either way its a win win.  I couldn't believe how much time the kids spent with the cloud simulator and the electricity ball.





 Another day we found another Cupcake Wars winner.  My kids and I love this show so whenever we find a local winner we are sure to check them out.  This company Cravings has a cute little shop with cupcakes that are to die for yum!  The ones we tried were Peaches and Cream, Maple and Bacon, Coconut cream, Better than What? Girl scout Samoa cookie, and fruit tart.  I can personally say there were all fabulous.  The peaches and cream was made with fresh peaches and the thickest most delectable cream I have ever tasted.   I loved the fresh peach surprise within the cupcake.  The maple and Bacon was as expected very yummy but some were so much more tasty. The fruit tart was fresh and creamy with all fresh fruits nothing canned.  The coconut cream transported me back to the island of Hawaii drinking pina colada's on the beach with sun warming my skin and the sand in my toes.  The better than What? cake was pretty close to being better than what. . . So full of complimentary flavors that I wanted more.  The Samoa was my absolute favorite.  They make their own samoa's they don't use the girl scout ones and I could have eaten 5 of the cookies alone.  Oh thinking about it now my mouth is watering.  Not only are these cupcakes delicious but they are beautiful as well.  It was so hard to decide which ones to get we will just have to make another day of it to try the rest.

 When I ran out of ideas it was different parks that we tried.  Our first park out of the norm was Neptune park in Saratoga Springs.  They have a 30 foot pyramid.  There are only a handful of these in the world.  The kids had a great time seeing how far they dared to climb.  Brennen was quite hesitant so I showed him what to do and how to step his feet.  After a little reassurance he climbed higher and higher each time.  This is a kid that you just let him figure it out.  He will push himself, just give him a little time.  I myself tried out all the equipment having almost as much fun as the kids.  I even scootered around the park and with out knowing it picked up a few followers.  These little kids just kept following me as if I were the Pied Piper.  I really didn't mind but I am sure the mothers were wondering how I got these kids to follow me.  One mother watched me for awhile and when she realized I was not a threat chatted with me a little then went back to her workout as I entertained her son.


Lastly we tried the Oquirrh Lake park.  This was something I thought could be fun.  We've had a blast all the other times we came to this lake, but my kids didn't want to do anything.  I think they were officially burned out but I needed to get out of the house and I knew if I left the kids home they would destroy my clean house.  So against their wishes I had them pile in the car and promised them a picnic with fast food.  Once we got there it was just okay. We ate our lunch but the kids really didn't want to do much.  We fed the fish and the ducks, that was the highlight of the day.  We waded in the water and half heartedly played on the playground.  I know when I've lost a battle so I packed them back up and we headed home.  You just can't win them all but at least I tried.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive