paradise

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

This year was my first official memorial day.  I say that because this is the first year someone really close to me has passed away. We decided it would be a good Sunday activity to go visit my dad's grave.  They didn't have his headstone placed yet but we needed to be there.
I was prepared for this day to be really sad. I feel like my dad's passing is still very fresh.  Anyone that know me knows I hate to cry.  I am sometimes called the woman with a heart of stone, or "the Borg" (half robot/ half human).  It's not that I don't feel, I just prefer not to share my emotions.  Although I realize I am getting better the older I get. So, I prepared myself to be able to deal with the sadness.  Some could say I am good at compartmentalizing.  However when we pulled up to the grave site to me it felt a little more like a family reunion.
My dad was buried near his parents and other siblings in a tucked away in a quaint little cemetery.  Walking across the grass we met family that was already there. We talked, laughed, and shared stories of past and present. It was a beautiful day full of thankfulness and gratitude.  I felt completely at peace.  That is until I looked around the cemetery and noticed a young family kneeling next to a headstone.  There was a dad and his children but no mother.  I didn't dare disturb this sacred moment between a family but I couldn't help but realize they were visiting their mother.
The heartbreak I felt for them as they silently cried over this headstone.  How tragic to loose a mother with so many young children.  As I looked back over to my family and  the contrast between the too, I was again filled with an overwhelming sense of peace and gratitude.
Jenni was super cute.  She cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled to the ground "WE LOVE YOU GRANDPA"  When her dad mentioned that he is in heaven now she changed her direction and yelled into the sky "WE LOVE YOU GRANDPA"  these little ones are so sweet.













Scottie's kids brought grandpa little notes wraped around flashlights.  The Reeves brought a tomato plant, the rest brought various flowers.  All so fitting for my dad. We will visit again for Father's day to see his headstone.  Thanks again for everything dad.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive