paradise

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Boxes


One thing that goes hand in hand with moving is boxes. I find myself consumed with finding boxes. Always having my eye out for the free cardboard as I drive by places of business and their dumpsters. Asking every sales clerk if they have any extra boxes. I refuse to pay for something that I can get for free. Can you believe they sell for $2 a box?
(Luckily here in California they are big on recycling and have dumpsters specifically for recyclables.)
In my quest to gather these paper masterpieces I hit the jackpot at a local shopping center. No sooner had I pulled up my car and started breaking down and loading boxes than another gentleman pulls up along side me and starts to gather boxes as fast as humanly possible. I felt like saying "Are you serious? I found these you go find your own." But being the bigger person I let him have the rest of the hoard and headed onto the next dumpster almost equally rewarding. When 1 min later guess who's back intruding on my find? You guessed it the same guy. Come on man get your own I was here first. This time I didn't back down but raced him to the bottom of the dumpster.
In the meantime I seemed to catch the eye of a security guy who thought I might be up to something so he decided to tail me.
Too much heat for me I decided to head to another shopping center and who should follow me? The security guard. It's not like I'm a criminal is it?
Realizing this neighborhood is too much work I drove across the street but apparently those dumpsters were already taken. (What is it with everyone looking for boxes) Sooo I drove quite a ways down the street passing up 3 shopping centers before I turned onto another road and found my next little gem. Lots of good sized clean boxes. I start breaking down and loading boxes when I get yet another visitor.
Who knew boxes were such a hot commodity?
Now that my garage is full of brown containers I think my dumpster diving days are over. But I'm sure my eyes will stray every time I pass a dumpster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive